Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dragon NaturallySpeaking for the Lawyer

I am dictating this post using Dragon NaturallySpeaking.  Every lawyer ought to get this program and learn how to use it.

One of the ways that I use it is in research.  Recently, I was reading a book on probate, looking for salient points on a particular issue.  As I would come acrossthat was helpful, I'd simply read from the book.  Another thing I found useful is after meeting with a client, I'll sit down and dictate my notes of the meeting into Dragon NaturallySpeaking.  I also use it to dictate a synopsis of each file so I have much of all the important information on one or two pages.



It takes a little work and you'll find yourself correcting some of the words, but I like the fact that it can learn.  I also like the fact that you can set up some of your own commands for frequently used words or phrases.  For example, I often use the term "N.E. 2d" and "Ind. App" when citing a case.  I created my own command for each of those particular terms.

It's a good program for anyone, not just lawyers, and I highly recommend the software.

No comments: